Chris Mowat is a second year Classics and Ancient History PhD student, and our current IT and Social Media person. His research is on gender construction and divination in the Roman world. He is also organising AMPAH 2016. He is on twitter @chrismologos
Though currently away on research in Germany, we still managed to get him to answer a few questions…
- If you could time-travel back to any moment in the past where and when would it be?
Gosh, there are so many options… and I would probably just waste it on going to see the original production of a Shakespeare…
- What book are you currently reading?
Romanitas by Sophia McDougall. Alternate history modern-day Roman Empire, or, as my best friend described it, “Latin Steampunk”.
- What did you want to be as a child?
So many things, including a best-selling novelist and a window cleaner! True story!
- Can you describe your research in three words?
Roman Sex and Magic.
Okay – that is not exactly accurate, but close enough, and it is great to say!
- What are your three most overused/cliché words or phrases?
“Hi Hungry, I’m Chris!”
“On a scale of 1 to [word]…”
- What’s the worst Classics-related joke that you’re heard and/or are guilty of telling?
I have a Classics hoodie that says “my life is in ruins”. Works for archaeologists, too!
- Have you got any hidden talents?
But if I told you, they wouldn’t be hidden!
- If given complete freedom to start over, what profession would you like to do and why?
Professional panda hugger. It is a real job, which people are paid real money to do.
- What is your favourite movie quote?
“How am I not myself?” (from I ♥ Huckabees).
Thanks, Chris! See you in March, when you are back from Germany!